Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Story of a Girl and a Dress


So, I'm a Maggie finalist. I've been walking around repeating that randomly for the past month. Everyone is sick of me by now. However, Nicki told me this week I needed a dress worth being in the company of editors and agents - and now I've gone over the edge (my husband has started calling me Jeff Lewis - the guy from Flipping Out). I want something sophisticated, sleek, not black and not matronly. Oh, and it would be nice if it fit. That last requirement is the one that makes me throw my hands up in defeat. I'm tall, and let's face it, rather more fleshy than I would like. Try finding a dress with all that in mind. Impossible.


So, on Tuesday night my marvelous neighbor, otherwise known as coutier Charles Joseph, came over and helped me make a pattern. I have slopers and I sew - which is another topic entirely - so the process was not as painful as it sounds. We came up with something I adore and then he gave me a swatch book from a New York fabric supplier. So, yesterday I spent several hours ordering my four ply silk in gunmetal, some zippers, a little boning, thread - etc. etc. The picture is one of my inspirations for the dress - the actual dress will be longer and in a more formal fabric.
And, even better, Charles Joseph (I just call him Chuck) will sew it up for me if it gets too close to Moonlight and Magnolias and I haven't gotten it done.
So, any thoughts? What do you do when you are faced with an event where you might be in the spotlight? How important is it to present a pulled together appearance when you're trying to find an agent or editor? (Or, should I be spending my time actually finishing the ms that finaled? Wait, don't answer that - I might go Jeff Lewis on your ass).

2 comments:

Tammy H said...

Hey Michelle,

Don't know if you remember me or not. I'm the GRW PRO-Liaison....

I've been checking yours and a few other PROs blogs on and off.

Just wanted to let you know I LOVE the updated website....

Way cool!!!! And a nice surprise!!!!

Good luck on the dress.

Hope to see you tomorrow at the meeting. If not, then I'll see you at M&M!!! Good luck on the Maggie!!!

Tammy Holden

Nicki Salcedo said...

At least I didn't suggest you wear your prom dress. Mine must be around here somewhere. Maybe I could try to squeeze into it for M&M. I'm sure I'd look like a reject from the prom episode of 90210.