Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Sounds of Silence

I took my daughter and my niece to see the IMAX film The Alps at Fernbank last week. Sitting in an air conditioned theater was nice. Sitting in an air conditioned theater watching a film about a snow-covered mountain was BLISS.

As we waited for the film to start I took the chance to do a little people watching. I'm not out in public much because, really, who wants to drag kids around in our Saharan heat, so when I get the chance I really soak it in. I like my moments of silent contemplation, but I noticed something really disturbing as I checked out my fellow IMAX goers. So many of them were sitting there fiddling with cell phones, PDA's, game boys, etc. Their moment of silence was totally taken up with little bitty screens and bright colored blips.

Has contemplation just for the sake of stillness gone entirely out of fashion? Can't anyone amuse themselves with the contents of their own brain anymore?

1 comment:

Nicki Salcedo said...

You are nice in your observations. I am not so nice (also known as snarky) and constantly telling people to unplug from the Matrix. My mother (she turned 65 this week) will not remove her bluetooth even when she comes into my house. We have a no bluetooth policy in my house.